How it all began..
I never knew that i had a small poet in me. I am sure he is not well versed in the literature's in the languages he knows, but i just feel that i have a little creativity in me to pass my feelings on to others. I feel a person expressing views must definitely leave an impact in the person who is reading his writing. I am not sure if i had left that mark in many people, but so far who ever had read my writings did tell me "It did leave an impact".
Now time for a small flash back... :-)
I would have never known that i could write poems except for the small homework in my English class during my tenth grade. It was a funny incident though. One of my best friends in school was Rakesh. We used to have individual desks and chairs which most schools in India didn't have at that time. But we used to join two desks and sit in class. It so happened that me and Rakesh joined our tables. It was a Friday evening and it was the last but one class. Our English ma'am was reading something in class and then she said "students open your workbooks, page number ..."
As usual it was a stupid homework, we had to write a essay or poem or what ever it is to fill a page.. But the thought of it sent a series of thoughts in my mind. I thought over the weekend i would start writing a beautiful story. I started thinking about my friends and then a train and then i related them both. How we go on a travel in a train meet people how they walk in and walk out.. Friends walk in walk out of your life ..... aahhh i was getting a structure then i thought ill go home and do a neat work..
It was Monday morning and the third class was English. "Students submit your assignments....", god i had forgot the whole thing. Saturday and Sundays were just gone in play times and TV stuffs. There are 5 rows in my class and i am on the 5th. Ma'am started from the first, fortunately she was reading each of the assignments as she moved form desk to desk. I just had that time till she reached my desk.
I quickly took out a paper and wrote 5 paragraphs each containing 4 lines. I didn't know how to write a poem, all that was in my mind was ma'am once told poems are a little structured in rhyming 'ab ab' or 'aa bb' or 'abba' or 'abcd' or a free thought of the writer. It was my turn to show my papers, i showed it to ma'am, she read Rakesh's and then mine and she was about to move to the next desk when Rakesh called out ma'am and told her that i wrote it in the class while she was collecting others work. She asked me to stand up and, said "go stand in front of the class...". I felt ashamed. I had to wait till she was done with everyone in class and then she handed my paper to me and asked me to read it out to the class. I did it, she asked me to read again, i didn't understand i did as told. Then she started praising laurels in my name. I was surprised as an average student in english i was appreciated so much by a teacher i thought who never liked me.
I was wondering all my lucky stars were shining above my head. Thats when i knew i could write poems. That very same year 28 of my poems were published in the school annual book. Poems both in English and Tamil.
The next year i moved on to Theni from Munnar for my 11th and 12th grade. I didn't stop writing poems in 12th i turned out to win the 2nd prize in the Tamil Mandram, a annual meet conducted in Tamil Nadu state level every year on Maha Kavi Bharathiyar,s birthday. I was thrilled when i walked towards the stage. I was hearing still, they said i missed the first prize only coz my spellings were poor. I felt little humiliated but still my creativity didn't loose its value, the only problem was the medium i used to portray my creativity. I was honored to get a prize on the great "Maha Kavi Bharathiyar's" birthday.
But when i entered college slowly things changed. Things that were dear and near to me slowly drifted away. All my passions were focused on one. But later i wrote a lot of poems and then after my fourth year i stopped writing poems.
Now time for a small flash back... :-)
I would have never known that i could write poems except for the small homework in my English class during my tenth grade. It was a funny incident though. One of my best friends in school was Rakesh. We used to have individual desks and chairs which most schools in India didn't have at that time. But we used to join two desks and sit in class. It so happened that me and Rakesh joined our tables. It was a Friday evening and it was the last but one class. Our English ma'am was reading something in class and then she said "students open your workbooks, page number ..."
As usual it was a stupid homework, we had to write a essay or poem or what ever it is to fill a page.. But the thought of it sent a series of thoughts in my mind. I thought over the weekend i would start writing a beautiful story. I started thinking about my friends and then a train and then i related them both. How we go on a travel in a train meet people how they walk in and walk out.. Friends walk in walk out of your life ..... aahhh i was getting a structure then i thought ill go home and do a neat work..
It was Monday morning and the third class was English. "Students submit your assignments....", god i had forgot the whole thing. Saturday and Sundays were just gone in play times and TV stuffs. There are 5 rows in my class and i am on the 5th. Ma'am started from the first, fortunately she was reading each of the assignments as she moved form desk to desk. I just had that time till she reached my desk.
I quickly took out a paper and wrote 5 paragraphs each containing 4 lines. I didn't know how to write a poem, all that was in my mind was ma'am once told poems are a little structured in rhyming 'ab ab' or 'aa bb' or 'abba' or 'abcd' or a free thought of the writer. It was my turn to show my papers, i showed it to ma'am, she read Rakesh's and then mine and she was about to move to the next desk when Rakesh called out ma'am and told her that i wrote it in the class while she was collecting others work. She asked me to stand up and, said "go stand in front of the class...". I felt ashamed. I had to wait till she was done with everyone in class and then she handed my paper to me and asked me to read it out to the class. I did it, she asked me to read again, i didn't understand i did as told. Then she started praising laurels in my name. I was surprised as an average student in english i was appreciated so much by a teacher i thought who never liked me.
I was wondering all my lucky stars were shining above my head. Thats when i knew i could write poems. That very same year 28 of my poems were published in the school annual book. Poems both in English and Tamil.
The next year i moved on to Theni from Munnar for my 11th and 12th grade. I didn't stop writing poems in 12th i turned out to win the 2nd prize in the Tamil Mandram, a annual meet conducted in Tamil Nadu state level every year on Maha Kavi Bharathiyar,s birthday. I was thrilled when i walked towards the stage. I was hearing still, they said i missed the first prize only coz my spellings were poor. I felt little humiliated but still my creativity didn't loose its value, the only problem was the medium i used to portray my creativity. I was honored to get a prize on the great "Maha Kavi Bharathiyar's" birthday.
But when i entered college slowly things changed. Things that were dear and near to me slowly drifted away. All my passions were focused on one. But later i wrote a lot of poems and then after my fourth year i stopped writing poems.
Comments